No.9978223 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>>As is well known, Canute, son of the Danish King Sweyn Forkbeard, came to England with his father in 1013 CE. Sweyn Forkbeard was declared King by those whom he conquered, but encountered conflicts with King Ethelred the Unready and Edmund Ironside before his death in 1016, whereupon the Danes proclaimed his son Canute King. Canute then defeated Edmund in October of the same year, but Edmund died six weeks later making Canute 'King of all England'. Canute then supposedly forded the River Lily at Knutsford the following year, in 1017, thus giving us the legend of how the area acquired its name - Canute's Ford.

>>The third, that with the greatest vigor he commanded that his chair should be set on the shore, when the tide began to rise. And then he spoke to the rising sea saying “You are part of my dominion, and the ground that I am seated upon is mine, nor has anyone disobeyed my orders with impunity. Therefore, I order you not to rise onto my land, nor to wet the clothes or body of your Lord”. But the sea carried on rising as usual without any reverence for his person, and soaked his feet and legs. Then he moving away said: “All the inhabitants of the world should know that the power of kings is vain and trivial, and that none is worthy the name of king but He whose command the heaven, earth and sea obey by eternal laws”.