No.9539254 ViewReplyOriginalReport
After living in Japan for 10 years now I have come to the final realization and understanding that the majority of Japanese don't or can't love. This is a generalization, but I do believe it is true and very real. I used to believe that Japanese just had trouble expressing love. Japanese certainly have great difficulty expressing deep personal feelings. I am often amazed from personal experiences and from what I see on TV at how socially and emotionally challenged Japanese are. Silence seems to cover an inability to express feelings. Social conditioning and a shame mentality seem to be the logical explanation.

Going back to my realization that Japanese don't love, I believe Japan or Japanese doesn't have a love culture. What I mean is love isn't valued as much as pride or “doing one's best. I want to make myself clear. I am not talking about a “boy meets girl and falls in love” kind of love. Japanese do fall in love and have the feelings romance or “being in love”. I am talking about family love, a love for friends and a love for people in general. People just don't love each other. Families are ....loveless. I guess I can explain by telling you of one of my experiences.