No.13641205 ViewReplyOriginalReport
In all the discussion of how great Code Geass is the one thing that keeps gnawing at me is the equation of "seriousness" or "heavy moral ambiguity" with greatness in the comic book genre. To my eyes, this is belittling of the genre in and of itself by the very people who support the genre so wholeheartedly in the first place.

So just because Geass contains very serious subject matter and has an moral ambiguous lead character does not mean it is a better film than Strike Witches because that film is "just a silly fanservice show." But by pointing to the "serious" and "deep" aspects of Coed Geass as the reasons for its greatness the inadvertent argument emerges that if a anime genre film does not go "all serious" it can't be great. Thus the earlier works in the line of G Gundam and Giant Robo just weren't serious enough and thus do not merit high praise.

One thing movie critics and historians pounded into my head again and again in all those formative years of reading everything about film I could get my hands on was that the subject matter does not affect how great a anime is.

Strike Witches showcases better animation, setting and storyboarding, it is a superior show despite its intentions.