No.13587598 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006) Dir. Tatsuya Ishihara - Since I began my illustrious online writing career over 7 years ago doing anime reviews, occasionally I like to dip back into that accursed medium to see if there's anything worth watching. So like a dog returning to its vomit, I decided to check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, mainly due to the insane fervor behind the series and rumors that there was at least some kind of interesting hook that made it unique despite its tiresome trappings. Frankly, I'd hate this show less if it was just lousy instead of it habitually trying to trick you into thinking it wasn't.

>Let's start with the first, and perhaps most glaring flaw: the titular character, Haruhi Suzumiya. I've seen characters more despicable in my lifetime, but never before has a narrative tried so hard to sell malevolence as a charming trait. Haruhi is scheming, moody, self-centered, violent and exploits her friends at every possible moment. So with Haruhi being as awful as she is, how is it possible for this entire series to focus on her friendship with main character and schoolmate Kyon (pictured right, screaming in terror)?

>Since the series is told entirely from his perspective, at first it's not clear why Kyon hangs around Haruhi so much--keep in mind I said "at first." Kyon constantly complains about every situation Haruhi puts him in, though he does completely break character every once in a while to find some sort of sick admiration for her. So throughout the beginning of the show, you wonder just what motivation he has to torture himself on a daily basis--and it isn't until Melancholy gives you the answer that you wish the question had never been raised.