My view on the GL dub:
- Dub Simon and Yoko were pretty much spot on. Good casting and they seemed to pick up pretty quick on the gist of the characters. Then again, Lowenthal's always been pretty decent, if only because he's easier to take seriously than Bosch.
- Dub Kamina was pretty much a fish out of water. He tried, bless his heart, but he played Kamina way too straight -- there just wasn't enough narcissistic bombast to contrast with his flattery of Simon.
- Blum's Leeron was okay, but didn't really blow me away at HOLY SHIT BLUM SAVES DUB level. In his defense, though, he's probably one of the only ones of the Bandai staples who can do fruity without being unintentionally malevolent (hi Freeman). A slightly better choice might have been the guy from the Outlaw Star dub who did Fred Luo (he made Dub Mao AWESOME in Geass), but Blum will suffice.
- The missed (omitted?) double entendre with Yoko groaning in the cockpit was mostly disappointing because it was so inexplicable. Were they just hard pressed to find a decent translation, or did they intentionally ignore it to make the language a little less naughty for a basic-cable TV airing? I lean towards the latter because I doubt that even the spottiest of paid translators could miss something like that -- unless they were just going from the script and didn't watch the episode, which doesn't make sense to me.
- I was surprised that they kept the Japanese pronunciation of Simon, but I can easily understand why they did, given that almost every Narutard (and certain /a/tards) in the nation would have firebombed Bang! Zoom! out of childish weeaboo rage. That's just plain common sense.
So far I'm satisfied with the GL sub. Not nearly as soul-crushing as I would have expected.