Anime Expo

No.13026661 ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, I'd consider myself an anime fan. I have a decent size library, volumes of manga and CDs, and went to AX every year without fail from 1996 to 2004 (I live in SoCal so it aint much of a trip). I've noticed over the years that as the numbers of participants grow larger and larger, the only part of the "expo" that grows is the hall where you buy stuff.

For my argument, the definition of Exposition from
1. a large-scale public exhibition or show, as of art or manufactured products: an exposition of 19th-century paintings; an automobile exposition.
2. the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining: the exposition of a point of view.
3. writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain; a detailed statement or explanation; explanatory treatise
4. the act of presenting to view; display
8. (in a play, novel, etc.) dialogue, description, etc., that gives the audience or reader the background of the characters and the present situation.

From the definition, it would seem that an Anime Exposition would focus more on panels as the years go on, but the contrary seems to be the case. The focus has been more and more about making a profit than bringing fans together and the guest speakers that they DO get are pathetic. I remember back in the day they'd have A-list seiyuu and musicians like See-Saw, not "the guy who played trunks in the dub of DBZ" or w/e. Every year in the past few years I've noticed that there's a ton of nonames and 1 or MAYBE 2 good panels that I've considered "Hey, I might get a 1-day pass and drive out there" for.