No.12104701 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm sure it's been asked many times, but why does shit anime always get incredibly stupid-popular?

Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, FMA. These series are horribly long, drawn out, and really not that great. I mean, sure, they've got some pretty exciting parts, but nothing that compares to some of the 26 episode shows.

Take for example Gantz. An incredible 26-episode series. It wasn't afraid to kill off MAJOR characters, even directly after getting the audience attached to the character through a new romance, or character development. It's slightly predictable, but lots of the plot twists are incredibly unpredictable.

Take Serial Experiments Lain, sort of popular, but not as popular as it should be. It lacks action, but it makes up for it in mind-fuckery and a great moral message at the end. Plus it's short enough to finish in a couple days.

Shakugan no Shana, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, This Strange Beatiful World, the list could go on. Sure the answer to why these aren't as popular as Naruto and Bleach could be because those are still showing new episodes, but how come nobody series that are pumping out new episodes that don't suck, like Ghost Hound? Higurashi is coming out with a new season soon too, but I don't see anyone talking about it. Even the Narutards complain about the episodes being crap, but it's shitty animes with 150+ episodes with no end in sight are still ALL half my anime-enjoying friends talk about. And I'm sick of it. I'm in my 20's. I'm not 12 anymore, which is what age group stuff like that is aimed at.

tl;dr: Why is mediocre / super long anime super popular? Everyone who doesn't watch anime's impression of anime is shit that's on cartoon network and stuff.