Historical fiction

No.11668428 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Right guys. Hopefully you'll be able to help me out a bit here. Aside from my fascination with giant robots (see name!), I'm also a bit of a sucker for historical fiction. To give you an idea of the sort of shows I like, I really enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X - Trust & Betrayl; The regular series is fine as well, but suffers a fair bit from shonen syndrome. I enjoyed the OVA much more), as well as Peacemaker Kurogane (which although it had very few fights in, they were good and not over the top). Anything with a medieval feel to it is fine really - so long as its fairly realistic. Sadly, I find that lately I can't stand a lot of swordfighting anime, purely because they rely on shooting laz0rz, shouting attack names, and other shonen bullshit along those lines.

tl;dr - I'm looking for some decent historical fiction anime (with "realistic" fight scenes, if there are any).

I don't want recommendations to go watch Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, or any of that sort of crap where the main character unleashes his super awesome lightning sword jutsu and wins the fight. I hate over the top Dragonball style fighting. Just doesn't cut it for me. I like my fights short, sweet, and bloody.

Any ideas on what I should watch next?