No.11368061 ViewReplyOriginalReport
my friend who introduced me to anime told me I am not a real fan because I dont have any anime stuff or tshirts aside from dvds. If that is true then what is a "real fan".

Tell your friend he's an elitist idiot, firstly.

Secondly, not measuring up to some imaginary threshold of merchandise ownership no more discounts you as a "real fan" as any other silly metric, save one.

As has been mentioned in this space before, the only people who are involved in the anime fan community who I'd say it's safe to accuse of not being "real fans" are the parasites who have never and will never pay for their anime or even watch it in legal, free spaces. We've gone on and on about these people before, so it isn't necessary to keep on it now, but I don't think it's going too far to suggest that someone who partakes but does not support the community or the artist in any way whatsoever is not a "real fan".

That said, a lot of elitist anime fans are happy to denigrate other fans for not being "fan enough" based on some silly measurement system they came up with, and it usually isn't so much about actually gaging someone else's worth as a fan, but rather to boost themselves up as the "true fans" who "really get it". It's kind of a weird thing to pride yourself on in my opinion, but hey, to each his nerdly own.

I pride myself on having more Darth Vader action figures than most everyone else I know. And before you ask, as I'm sure this will come as a huge shock, ladies... I'm single!