Actually if this is done right it could be incredibly awesome. From the wikipedia article:
* Matt Greenfield says that after the completion of the The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, Weta approached ADV about approaching Gainax to do a live action Eva movie, but work on it was delayed by work on King Kong and The Chronicles of Narnia.
* Three "A List" directors that are also fans of Evangelion approached ADV about the project, not the other way around.
* Greenfield talks about getting their pitch package together and that "the first thing is Robin Williams talking about Evangelion", who is apparently a big Evangelion fan, and the appearance of the Mass Production Eva toy in One Hour Photo is entirely his doing.
* Celebrities have been inquiring directly to ADV about being involved in Live Action Evangelion.
* Greenfield acknowledges the uncertainty of the final product due to the nature of film making being driven by the director.
* The slug script was written by a well known writer who has written several well known sci-fi movies. The slug script will be re-written to fit the tastes and vision of the director selected.
* Greenfield acknowledges that the children will most likely be age appropriate. The kids will be picked and then the adults will be cast to work well with the children. Thus, casting won't actually happen until the director is picked: child actors will have to be cast in their roles close to production, after which adult actors will be cast to match the children.