No.10932647 ViewReplyOriginalReport
Kure-nai Episode 2

Rating: 2.5 (of 5)

Review: Still unnecessarily confusing…and still going absolutely nowhere fast. The second episode manages magnificently not to convey anything new about the Kuhouin family's reasons for keeping Murasaki sequestered, Benika's reasons for liberating her, Shinkurou's tragic history, Shinkurou's present circumstances and apparent physical alteration, or the direction this pretentious excuse for an anime series is eventually going to take. Instead, we get Shinkurou taking Murasaki to a public bathhouse and a rather silly crash course in ordinary manners. That's about it, alas.

Kure-nai is fast becoming one of the worst disappointments of the season. The carefully-described Japanese imagery mixed together with stylish film noir atmosphere is quite appealing, but I have trouble believing that the plot, wherever it does decide to go, is going to be capable of living up to so excellent a set of visuals. I lay odds that the creators know they have a most intractable problem, and this is why they are attempting to delay the inevitable letdown for as long as possible. In any case, nothing I've seen in these past two episodes has convinced me that there will ever be sufficient payoff, and I have had quite enough of this striptease. I'm officially dropping the series. There are tons of other options out there, and a good proportion of those are better bets.