No.10810778 ViewReplyOriginalReport
>Rating: 1.5 (of 5)

>Review: Err. And I thought Kanokon was going to take home my Most Offensive Show of the Season prize. Looks like I was smart to give myself a bit of wriggle room because guess what? Zettai Karen Children takes it to a whole 'nother level.

>Okay, this anime is what you get if the three heroines of Magic Knight Rayearth were to cosplay as the The Powerpuff Girls...minus the girl power and the appealing character designs. In the first episode, we are introduced to Kaoru, Aoi, and Shiho, powerful but unpredictable Espers known as "The Children" who fight crime for the Japanese government, and the young man who will become their new handler, Kouichi. The four of them take on Muscle Okama and foil his plot to steal a solid gold statue from the National Museum.

>This Muscle Okama is presented as a gay man. He swishes, he talks in feminine language, he hits on Kouichi, he humps nude male statues. He also shoots bizarre psychic beams from his groin. At first I was amused by the ridiculousness, but it wore off quickly, and I can't remember the last time I've seen an anime series portray a minority group so offensively. No anime these days would represent even black people in so blatantly stereotypical a fashion.

>Arguably worse, however, is Kaoru's apparent lesbianism and her characterization as a perverted old man. You know, I get that oogling boobs and butts can be an important part of the pleasure of these sorts of things. But showing a little girl doing it—as if that makes objectifying behavior somehow morally excusable? That's inexcusable in a way that no amount of cheerfully bobbing breasts alone will ever be.