No.10791435 ViewReplyOriginalReport
I think this is one of the most overrated series I've seen in a while. It's about Akagi, who unrealistically becomes a mahjong genius over night.
Most people praise Akagi for being an extremely tough, intelligent and daring character, and that the anime reeks of manliness. After hearing dozens of people praising it, I decided to give it a try.
Overall, I think the viewers who praise this show are easily deceived. Akagi is not tough at all. There is nothing tough about staring death in the eye, when Akagi's already suicidal and has nothing to lose. In fact, all his opponents are cowards who break like nothing, while a lot of Akagi's supposed skill comes from luck, such as when drawing the right tile at the right time.
The show is just not very good, as it uses typical shounen clichès, such as overblown reaction, stereotypical characters and very obvious storytelling techniques that can only impress people who enjoy mindless Hollywood movies. The bad guy laughs manically, think he has the upper hand, then Akagi smirks, explains how he's played his game and shows a winning hand. Rinse and repeat.
Basically, if you enjoy good movies and can see through some very old and tired film making techniques, I suggest you stay away from this one.
If you're easily impressed, then by all means, enjoy Akagi for what it's worth.